Thursday, September 3, 2009

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer DE

Another Japanese compact car, will this one be as good as the Mazda?


Introduction: The Mitsubishi Lancer is actually a vehicle that Mitsubishi made for quite some time all the way back from 1973. Older generations of the Lancer have been sold as Dodge Colts, while the United States saw the 4th generation Lancer. Canada did not have access to any Mitsubishi unless Dodge put its badge and sold the vehicles that way. Canada only got the true Mitsubishi Lancer when it was in its 7th generation. The current Mitsubishi Lancer is in its 8th generation hoping to make a break through in the most competitive segment of cars.

This is one of the last few vehicles I managed to drive and this was the only one that I had no opportunity to drive in order for me to get the chance to drive every single vehicle sold in this segment. I was happy to see I finally got the chance to drive a Lancer a few months ago when I thought the only Mitsubishis I would drive are the Outlander and Endeavor.


Performance: The base Mitsubishi Lancers are given a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine that produces 152 hp and 146 lb.ft of torque, making this one of the most powerful base vehicles available. The engine is one of the GEMA models that I mentioned in the Caliber reviews. The Lancer is also given a CVT to be paired with this engine much like the Chryslers. The acceleration is reasonable with a 0-100 km/h time of about 8.9 seconds, it is claimed the car is much faster without the CVT. The engine however isn't as refined as the Mazda 3's and in order to get it moving its a bit buzzy.

My Score: 7/10 - Decent power, decent acceleration but noisy and with the right transmission could be quicker.

Handling: The Mitsubishi Lancer's handling was really a big question mark for me when dreaming of driving it. So after taking it for a decent drive, I can say it handled pretty good all things considered. Its not as brilliant as the Mazda 3 but I do prefer this over the Honda Civic. The steering feel is not as electric as the Mazda either but its got a decent amount of feel to make driving the car around corners pretty enjoyable. Not a brilliant car like the Mazda 3 but a pretty competent one in this area.

My Score: 8/10 - Good handling, decent steering feel but still outclassed by Mazda


Interior: This is the area that always concerns me about Mitsubishi. I know their engineers are clever but I don't think they make very presentable interiors. While it doesn't have the feel of being very cheap like a Chrysler, its still not enough to excuse the hard plastics all over the car. The somewhat digital dash however does make it a tad better. In the end its pretty bland and not what I'd hope for. Interior space is reasonable and about equal with cars of similar size like the Mazda 3. The Lancer is made in Japan, once again I'm amazed but it seems the Japanese do a pretty good job at assembling cars because I haven't found the build quality flaws I always find on a Chrysler.

My Score: 6/10 - Bland interior, disappointing materials but neat gauges and its well built

Styling: Normally Japanese cars are not very good looking and usually end up being pretty generic for the times. This Mitsubishi Lancer is a very attractive vehicle, its aggressive all over from the head lights to even the tail lights. Normally I don't like the high trunk line but I'll forgive this because the rest of the car looks so good. This is clearly the best looking car in the segment.

My Score: 10/10 - Great exterior styling

Value for the money: Mitsubishi is not normally a company that is often mentioned and in some ways its a shame because the Lancer is a good looking car. It doesn't do anything terrible like some other cars ie. Corolla, Caliber, etc. Its all down to name recognition which may work in its favour since in Canada, Mitsubishi offers a very good engine warranty and the base DE lancer is pretty competitive in price to other vehicles in the segment. Its a bit expensive but might be worth your while with the 10 year warranty. If you want something that has style but is at least competent in most areas of driving that are of concern the Lancer should be something on your list to test drive.

My Score: 8/10 - Great warranty, often overlooked and a decent performer

Overall: 39/50 - If it weren't for a weak interior, this car should be on the same level as the Corolla, Civic and Mazda 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment